Preparing for Carpet Installation
While do-it-yourself home improvement projects are increasingly popular, carpet installation is a specialized skill.
When you purchase your new carpet, ask your flooring retailer if they have professional carpet installers on staff. If not, ask them to recommend an independent installer for your area. In most cases, the retailer will handle all the details of arranging the installation. Be sure to ask about additional fees or carpet installation costs for things like old flooring removal and disposal, and moving larger furniture pieces.
Before your carpet installer arrives, here are some things you can do to make the job easier:
- Vacuum your old carpet to minimize dust when removed.
- If you’ve removed the old carpet, ventilate the room and vacuum the floor thoroughly.
- Leave nothing hanging over the area to carpet, such as plants or drapery.
- Open windows and doors to provide good ventilation.
Before Laying Begins
When the installer arrives, there’s a new checklist of chores to keep in mind:
- Make sure the carpet is the same one you ordered at the store before laying. Check the label and sales receipt.
- Ask your installer to inspect the carpet and backing for defects.
- Keep the label, receipt, warranty and a scrap of carpet for your records. That little scrap will come in handy if you ever want to buy more of the same style and color!
- Decide whether you want to keep any leftover carpet to use as doormats or for future repair jobs.
After Carpet Laying
Installing carpet can be a dusty, dirty job. If you have allergies or are sensitive to odors, you might want to leave while the job is being done.
After your carpet installation job is complete, here are a few things to watch for:
- Fibers may shed or sprout for a few days. Vacuum up the loose fibers, and clip the sprouts with a pair of sharp scissors. (Don’t pull, or they’ll unravel!)
- Trim and re-hang any doors that do not swing freely.
- Keep an eye out for wrinkling, and ask the installer to return and re-stretch the carpet if it doesn’t stay tight and flat.
In any event, simply phone Carpet Repairs Auckland 09-489 5599